Hello dear community, I hope it's not too much of...
# help
p
Hello dear community, I hope it's not too much of a trivial question but can you explain why you choose a tagging schema like this for your Docker images?: 3.2.0-alpine vs 3.2.0-3-alpine for example? I am asking this because we are using Renovate in our project, yet have to implement a special rule for wiremock (and keycloak) because Renovate interprets 3.2.0-3-alpine in terms of "compatibility" like this: version = 3.2.0 an compatibility = 3 (because the 3 is the first thing after the dash). By this we lose actually the "alpine" information and the update does not work properly without a special rule. So my question is: what's the difference between 3.2.0-alpine and 3.2.0-3-alpine? Is it generally more favorable to use 3.2.0-3-alpine vs. 3.2.0-alpine? Thanks and sorry for the maybe stupid question. Also thanks for the amazing work you are doing! \Phillip Möller
t
Essentially it’s because the 3.2.0 bit is the actual WireMock core version and the -3 is the Docker build version. If we were to drop the -3 it would mean we’d need to either only ever produce one Docker image per WireMock core build or start bumping the WireMock core patch version just to get new Docker images.
p
Thanks Tom. Also, I realized that it is usually desirable to have the latest build because then I can get also an updated version of the base image for example. This will usually increase security.
o
Yes, four digit versions are deliberate.
indeed means
3.2.0-latest
I set up the three digit version as a temporary solution while we were setting the proper automation for the website. Now we use UpdateCLI so probably we could stop publishing them and just use four digit ones