Hey everyone. Is WireMock 3.+ compatible with Wire...
# wiremock-java
m
Hey everyone. Is WireMock 3.+ compatible with WireMock 2.+ in terms of package structure? I got an issue in Spring Cloud Contract to migrate to WireMock 3 but I don't want to od any breaking changes.
o
There are no changes in the packaging structure, but some extra dependencies were shaded, and there are quite a lot of API changes and dependency updates. Also the artifacts were relocated, so you may potentially get into weird issues if you have upstream dependency on old version https://github.com/wiremock/wiremock/releases/tag/3.0.0
What is important is that we haven't yet tested with this library, so any reports will be appreciated
m
Ok so that's going to be a mess. I think I would need to support 2 versions at the same time. Do you think that's possible? Also will WireMock JSON stub 3 work with WireMock 2 and vice versa?
o
The stub formats are compatible. There are a bunch of new features added so the downgrade we will not always work if you adopt the new features
@Marcin Grzejszczak why would you need to support two versions? The third version is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the most of the use cases, though removal of Java 8 is likely to cause problems
If you want, we can jump on a call in 2 hours or so to look at what the obstacles are. I would like to find solutions where possible, and to document the rest well
m
I don't want to break compatibility. I can't simply upgrade WireMock from 2 to 3 in a minor release of Spring Cloud Contract. So I can expect that there will be users working with WireMock 2 and with WireMock 3. I can even expect them doing gradual migrations from WireMock 2 to WireMock 3 and I don't want to break them
o
Understood. Let's see what we can do about it